Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sigh. Here we go again.

I thought that the issues with my boss had been put to bed, but he gave me a surprise mid-year appraisal last week and it was, to be blunt, fucking appalling. There are several things wrong here. The first is that we're meant to be doing ongoing assessment, so it shouldn't have taken this long to communicate the scores. The second is that the score is far too low. The third is that I believe the score's subjective rather than objective.

I don't know the exact details as yet, I just know the numerical value and a couple of comments.

However, I can guess that the numerical value has been guessed rather than calculated and that his reasoning for such a poor mark will undoubtedly come from a couple of incidents where he was unhappy with my performance. Not that my performance has been bad this year, just that I haven't delivered exactly what my boss wants or needs on one or two occasions... but often he doesn't vocalise these things until he doesn't get what he wants.

As I've no doubt mentioned before, he has over-reacted to half a dozen minor incidents that seem to anger him a lot more than they should.

So my assumption at this stage is that my mark is mostly personal - subjective rather than objective.

I don't think my relationship with him is going to get any better when I pretty much challenge him on everything - asking how he worked out the figures, what the formulae were that he used, how different grades are compared against each other etc.

He won't have answers to any of these.

I will ask why I wasn't given a goal setting meeting, despite asking for one. I will ask how I am meant to achieve targets and goals when they are not given to me nor is their method of measurement.

My email will run into hundreds, if not thousands of words showing him that I have given my scores for this year much more thought than he has.

I had the same issue with my old boss last year around the objective vs subjective scoring, but at least he didn't have anything personal against me.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...