Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Grrr... (Part 3)

Following on from this post, I thought things had calmed down with a manager in work. That is, until I arrived in on Monday to a series of increasingly angry emails that had been sent on Friday afternoon.

I wasn't around. I had left at 3 PM, having completed both my hours and tasks for the week mainly due to having to work until 9 PM on Tuesday because someone else wasn't doing their job. This is all within my company's guidelines about flexible working.

The emails weren't about my timekeeping, but rather something I was assigned a few weeks ago. I had put it on the back burner due to other, more urgent, issues that I was working on. But my manager needed an update. I wasn't giving it the urgency he had dictated, he said. In fact, he hadn't dictated ANY urgency and I had made a judgement call based on my own observations.

He eventually admitted that I had made the right call, but that because the request had originated from a HIGHER UP, that it was automatically more important and that I should have been providing regular updates.

He's wrong, mostly, but you can't tell him that. There was no decision I could have made that wouldn't have come back to bite me in the arse, but because I had included a local manager, he couldn't give me random abuse as he had done last time.

He had made a rather snooty comment about wanting to talk about my time keeping. Our next scheduled meeting is tomorrow. The thing I don't think he realises is that everyone in my company operates the same way - it's the company policy after all. Any criticism to come to me should be directed to everyone. I don't think he'll like it when I tell him that, though.

I feel like I'm busting my gut, taking on extra things to prove my worth and get a pay rise and show flexibility, but not get the recognition for it for no reason at all.

Things might need to get escalated.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...